Grief Inexpressible: A Friday Night Exile

They love what you write until you don't fit their perfect sketch. This piece poured out of me on a Friday night, watching a community gather while sitting on the outside looking in. It’s a raw look at cultural shunning, unearned guilt, and that haunting question: was the warmth they gave me real, or just a beautiful lie? For every fellow rascal who has had to carry a heavy cross alone—grab a seat, this one is for you.

Friday night returned,
A crowd gathering to pray.
I knew I was not welcome—
Not allowed... 

Yet I could not resist the window,
Watching children play beneath the lights.
The only night the lawn lost its sanctity,
And innocent feet could press the manicured green. 

A hollow space in my chest kept me awake.
I waited for the courtyard to clear
Before venturing down from my hostel room,
Guarding a sorrow heavier than I could bear. 

Hours earlier, a professor’s sketch had portrayed
A forsaken Christ, enduring the shame of the cross.
The dam inside me finally broke;
The factory of tears could no longer hold its production.
As I fought for control, the pressure gave way,
A silent flood spilling onto my open page.
I tried to clear the mist with a handkerchief,
But the ink had already bled—
Spreading across the paper in the perfect shape of a cross. 

To be branded the black sheep,
Blameless yet broken by their judgment,
Is a sentence harder to endure than death.
In my culture, to be ignored is to be erased. 

I felt a grief, inexpressible.
It was never the bread I hungered for,
But the radiant smiles of those who once loved my words.
In a matter of days, the world I built was gone. 

Was the smile that lurked behind it all lying,
Or merely lying low?
I still don't know.
I still don't know.

Written from the heart, with a little help from my AI sounding board to bring the rhythm to light. Until next time, stay authentic, fellow rascals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Jesus Christ, The Light of Life and Love, this Diwali

You Think You Know Me?

Have you read the Bible?