The Tainted Scholar’s Manifesto: Notes from a Locked Room

Welcome back, fellow rascals, searchers, and beautifully broken souls. Every now and then, we cross paths with a piece of writing that refuses to fit neatly into a box. Today’s feature is exactly that—a raw, unfiltered transmission sent from a hostel room in Kothanur. It is part theological wrestling match, part Bollywood romance, and entirely human. 

Our contributor today describes themselves as a *"Tainted Idiotic Scholar maddened by passion for God."* It’s a beautifully contradictory title that perfectly captures the spirit of this blog. Who else but a loving rascal could profoundly identify with the heavy, chained suffering (*thlipsis*) of the Apostle Paul, while simultaneously offering to woo you as the smooth anti-hero from *Don* or the hopeless romantic from *DDLJ*? 

This poem is a cry for freedom and connection. It speaks to anyone who has ever felt isolated, misunderstood, or considered "good riddance" by the institutions around them. It is for those who wear vibrant colors to mask a heavy heart, who pray tearful midnight prayers, and who refuse to let their souls go dry—even when locked behind four walls. 

Pour yourself a coffee, leave your judgment at the door, and step into the unchained world of a scholar who loves too deeply. 

Read the full poem below.

The Unfiltered Version 

I told Bubbles, "Buy me binoculars!"

Laughing out loud, he said,

"From Kothanur, it will still be tough."

To those who think I stare to scare them off—

My dear friends, I can't even see faces

From such a long distance away.

Even then, you will make a case,

Because it’s not I, but you, who gaze into my space.

I welcome all the stares. 


Alone in my room, I feel like Paul in chains—

Proclaiming the unchained word to unchain the bound.

I'm not that big a saint to compare myself

With Paul the Great,

But I can still identify in many details with him

And his *thlipsis* for the Gentile world.

Without Paul's Ephesian mission—

Where he, spirit-anointed, taught Apollos' JTB disciples,

Teaching for years in a separate room

Until all hell broke loose, and perhaps a chaining of sorts...

My dear Paul-line,

The Spirit's work in Ephesians is never complete.

"The Spirit, *To Pneuma*," as my mentor pronounced... voww! 


Why did I underline everything about him?

Was it love at first sight?

I can send you the page, which still has been engaged,

Thinking of you night and day,

As the Ephesians drama unfolds into small working models

Of creation renewed—

In every space where I once freely moved.

Do you miss me in the chapel, or at least in the library?

Or maybe you consider me "good riddance" after all?

I am a rejected i-was-he. 


May the Spirit direct you to know Paul—

His mission, his heart, his rejections, his glory.

The man who worked hardest still carried bits of scrolls

And missed his winter clothes badly.

What would you prefer?

A person who's dedicated everything to Jesus and his work,

Or somebody who has something more to keep? 


A man of Jesus I became;

Somebody else gave me the name.

The only acronyms I created

Were to remember my sermons accurately.

I became Don, Pathan, and even the Malhotra Guy of DDLJ,

So that you may know I'm not a dry soul.

I wear vibrant colors,

I sing upbeat numbers,

I pray tearful prayers,

And I read Scriptures night and day to know him deeply. 


If your interest matches mine,

And if you think Paul's letters are full of loyal love,

If the grace of God rings a bell—

Don't think too much, just run to me, myself:

The one and only Tainted Idiotic Scholar,

Maddened by passion for God and his Holy Scriptures.

Well, I can be the young SRK of *Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi*, too.

You get to choose who you want me to be. 


Fortunately, Paul in *Romance* made *Galatian*,

Took a *Das-lak-ka-loan* which made him do *Ephesos*,

As his body lay outside the wall of a town

That once called him Lord Mercury.

When I'm done with it,

The preacher at the chapel will speak with ease,

But maintain my honor,

As you look around for a face like mine—

Which you may not find today,

For I'm still locked in my hostel,

Waiting for a freedom that I never received. 


I love you, Paul-line.


A Polished Poem 


From Kothanur, the distance blurs the view,

I told him buy binoculars, laughing out loud—

For those who think I stare to threaten you,

I cannot even see faces in the crowd.

Yet you will make a case, select your ground,

Because it’s you who gaze into my space;

I welcome all the stares that spin around,

Alone within this room, this locked-in place. 


Like Paul in chains, within these narrow walls,

Proclaiming words unchained to set men free,

I hear the echo when the spirit calls,

Though no great saint, his shadow falls on me.

I know his *thlipsis*, know his heavy cost,

The separate room where hell itself broke loose,

The years of teaching where the lines were crossed,

And love became the only path to choose. 


Why did I underline his every word?

Was it love at first sight upon the page?

The grand renewed creation has occurred,

While I sit trapped inside this hostel cage.

Do you still miss me in the library’s light?

Or in the chapel where the hymns are sung?

Or am I just good riddance in the night—

A fading name upon a silent tongue? 


The man who worked the hardest for the King

Still missed his winter clothes and bits of scroll;

I gave up everything, a broken thing,

To let the grace of Jesus hold my soul.

Yet do not think me dry, or cold, or bleak—

I wear bright colors, sing an upbeat song,

I pray with tearful words when I am weak,

And read the Scriptures all the midnight long. 


I’ll be the Don, the Pathan, or the guy

From DDLJ, dancing in the rain,

Or *Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi*—tell me why

You cannot see the passion in my pain?

If grace of God still rings a distant bell,

Don’t think too much, just run to where I stand:

The Tainted, Idiotic Scholar’s cell,

With Holy Scripture waiting in his hand. 


My body lies outside the city wall,

Where once they called him Mercury in pride;

I love you, and I love the lines of Paul,

Waiting for freedoms always being denied.

But when I'm done, the preacher will speak clear,

Maintaining honor where my steps have been—

Look for a face like mine, and hold it dear,

Before the final curtain drops the scene.


Acknowledgement: This piece was shaped in collaboration with AI, polishing the rhythm while preserving the raw, unedited heartbeat of the writer’s original stream of consciousness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Jesus Christ, The Light of Life and Love, this Diwali

The Altar of the Unapproved

You Think You Know Me?